Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bangkok Daze

Life hardly ever turns out the way you picture it to be. You end up doing things you never dreamed of, you go places you never expect to and you end up with people you never thought you were compatible with. Going to Bangkok for my undergrad was exactly one of those things that I had neither planned for, nor was it something I ever dreamed of. 

Arriving in Bangkok I got off the plane with my tummy doing somersaults wondering what was I thinking! I'm arriving in BANGKOK for my UNDERGRAD!!!! I had always dreamt of going back to the States or going to Australia for college... how did I end up in Bangkok? But at the end of the 3 years I spent in Bangkok I realized Bangkok gave me a different kind of college experience compared to my friends in the countries that I had dreamed of growing up.

The visa we, as students, go to Bangkok under does not allow any kind of work. So...... if you're not busy working; not too busy with studies, what else is there to do than have fun? During those 3 years in Bangkok, I traveled like I'd never traveled before; met all kinds of people I never thought existed in real life and experienced a kind of life I never pictured for myself. 

Well this blog is mostly a picture memoir of my Bangkok days. Hope you enjoy!

View from my room looking out on Rama IV, or Phalam See as they refer to in Bangkok.
I lived quite in the heart of the city with Carrefour and Tesco Lotus near by. I quite enjoyed my stay there as there was always something interesting happening with adorable children, Thai and foreign boxers and I guess the most exciting would have to be the models. 
my VOGUE cover
One of those days we were super bored. Not hot enough to HAVE to leave the room, but hot enough to get WEIRD ideas.... 

Jim Thompson House
Wanting to do all the touristy things (after a year of being in Bangkok) we decided to visit the museums and do some sightseeing. Had interesting antiques and artifacts. And was near MBK :)
Christmas in Bangkok
Christmas is always a very gaudy and colorful affair anywhere, but more so in Bangkok! (Notice the jumpers and shawls- yes it was a rather cool evening mostly like no less than 20 degree Celsius!)

My 23rd Birthday at Saxophone
A birthday I can NEVER forget! (at a VERY nice jazz pub at Victory Monument)

Gypy Days
Recording a tarot session with our very own tipsy gypsy 

Dream World
This was right after I refused to go on the water "rollercoaster" because I didn't want to sit in soaking wet jeans. The very next ride was one which they convinced me would only get a little water on me.... At the end of the ride I could literally ring out my hair, shirt, and jeans!

New Years Eve 2006
My first new years eve with my mom after about 5 years and this had to be the New Years Eve that was shaken up with bombs all over Bangkok!
BUIC International Fair
Our stall at the Bangkok Uni International College International Fair. Yes there were moments of extreme boredom in the EXTREME heat (about 40C) 


Jewelry
An up close pic of some of the jewelry that we were selling at our stall. I just found it pretty :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails